Friday, May 7, 2010

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

I want to dedicate this post to one of my oldest dearest friends Genevieve. To me, she is a hair chameleon. Braids this week, curly the next.

Long hair

A few months ago this was me. Short, sassy, adorable, cute, bubbly. Not that you would notice any of that because I hid behind my wall. My long, drab, dry, boring, same old same old wall. My wall that I would try to subtly pull back with a clip and think "wow I look cute" when I really look like I did the day before and the day before that. My long hair.

Let me tell you a story. A story about a girl and her long hair. For as long as I could remember, my hair has been the same. Long, brown, straight. For as long as I could remember, that was what I considered beautiful. I would see girls that I would admire, such as Angela Jolie, Crystal Renn, Adriana Lima..all had beautiful long dark hair. I think that the long hair was a distraction from the rest of me. My long beautiful dark hair would distract people from looking at my stomach or my thick legs or that little bit of fat I have under my chin. Not that I ever did anything with it. I'd pull back in a pony tail, or I'd pull it half up and try to leave the rest down all the while putting in different cutsie clips. That was as far as I would go with experimenting. What new clip can I put in my hair today? Should I put it half up? Put my bangs in the same place as usual? I was afraid to try something new but my hair was definitely wearing me down. I was in need of a change and fast.

Shorter hair was not new to me, and all ladies can relate to this story I'm about to tell you. One day after being bored with my long hair, I decided to try something new. I found a brand new stylist and basically uttered the wrong phrase that no one should ever to a stylist you don't know. "Do with it what you want." This woman cut my hair off. We are talking short choppy water fall layers that came up from my chin and made my face look bigger than it actually was. From that day on I vowed "never ever to cut my hair off ever again." I didn't want to lose my cute and sexy again, which was what happened with that awful hair cut. It's just hair. It'll grow back. Just not fast enough.

Fast foward six years (yes, six years!) later. I live in a new town, I have a new job, making new friends, and a new lease on life. The first thing on my agenda? Find a fantastic new hair salon with a fantastic new hair stylist and get my drab, boring hair cut off. This wasn't an easy task. I had to do the research, the hair research. I looked through countless pics online, in magazines. I tried to fantasize what my hair would look like with a Nicole Ritchie bob, with a pixie cut, layered, with bangs, without bangs..well maybe not without bangs. Then came the stylist. I hate to admit this, but I didn't put in any research for the stylist. I lucked out. I picked the salon closest to my apartment. Then came the cut. "What do you want?" "I want it OFF." And let me tell you guys, it was liberating. It was as though I had lost fifty pounds, fifty pounds of hair. That was 20+ years of hiding, 20+ years of thinking long hair was beautiful and sexy. Now I have short, sassy, SEXY, fun hair that I don't have to hide behind. That shows off my young, fresh bubbly personality. The start of my transformation comes from the head and goes down. It starts with the hair, and ends with the feet.

short hair

Now that I made the leap from long to short now comes the fun part. Now I can play with different styles and just have fun with it. A recent trim with a little more length taken off the back and some high lights, I feel like a new person. Where went that shy, meek little girl with the long hair? She is gone. Meet the new improved fantabulous me. I am here and I'm ready to start my life right. I may be a little bit late, but I'm ready and willing to start making changes and making myself feel good for once. I'm finally ready to tell myself "you go girl!" instead of telling it to everyone else. So Lindsay, you go girl! :)


2 comments:

  1. i LOVE the new hair cut. can't wait to see an updated pic with the highlights! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I need to take one! I love it!

    ReplyDelete